Drama Club Presents: The Hound Of The Baskervilles

Drama Club Secretary Alayna Lino (left), playing Jennie Watson, and Drama Club Member Amelia Albretch (right), playing Shirley Holmes, show off the playbill for this year’s Warren Hills Fall Play, The Hound of the Baskervilles: A comic Thriller Starring Shirley Holmes and Jennie Watson. (Photo by Roisin McCluskey)

For fans of comedic mysteries and thrillers, this year’s fall play has it all. Warren Hills Drama Club presents The Hound of the Baskervilles : A comic Thriller Starring Shirley Holmes and Jennie Watson by Kent R. Brown. 

In this comic thriller, the nieces of famous detectives Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson are tasked to solve the mystery of Sir Charles Baskerville’s death. Shirley and Jennie follow the intricate trail of evidence and mystery as they uncover who is truly behind the mystifying deaths of the males of Baskerville Hall. 

Drama Club Secretary junior Alayna Lino was cast as Jennie Watson. 

“She’s a college student studying medicine, but all of a sudden she needs to solve a mystery and become a detective,” Lino said.

Junior Amelia Albrecht co-stars as Shirley Holmes, niece of Sherlock Holmes. Her character is very intelligent and reserved, and best friends with Watson.

“The most important thing about the play is probably the suspense,” said Albrecht. “If there’s no suspense and no character building, then there’s no play. It’s also important to keep the comedy intact and know when to be serious and when to be comedic.” 

Junior Tyrik Iman-Washington, acting as Sir Henry Baskerville, the inheritor of Baskerville Hall, said that the play being a comedic thriller makes the audience more intrigued. 

“I love that the performances are around Halloween, and that the play gives little frights, but we can still play up the comedic aspect of it,” he said. 

Drama Club Vice President Ian Higgins, cast as John Stapleton, commented on the importance of character connection in the play. 

“The characters’ relationships help to build the suspense and mystery of the show, making the plot and the climax really suspenseful and thrilling while also adding to the comedic aspect of the production,” he said. 

Drama Club Advisor and Director Nicole Labrit-Petrewski explained why she chose this fall play. 

“I was specifically looking for Sherlock Holmes – there are lots,” she said. “I saw potential for a sizable cast and the ability to develop everyone’s stage presence, animation and comedy skills.” 

The cast consists of 16 people, all of whom are thrilled to be cast in this enthralling production. They work hard every Tuesday and Thursday after school, and some Wednesdays and Saturdays are also designated rehearsal days.

Of the 16 cast members, there are three freshmen performing this year. 

Freshman Zoë Wolke was asked what it’s like being a first year student in the play.

“It’s really great, actually. I feel pretty comfortable and I feel like I’m starting to find my people,” she said. “I know quite a few of the other actors from previous theater experience, and every new person I’ve met is super kind and accepting. The entirety of it all is really positive, inspiring and fun.”

Performances are November 4 at 7 p.m. and November 5 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. in the auditorium.