Grading Policy, School Schedule Altered

Principal Christopher Kavcak discusses changes to the grading policy and Master Bell Schedule with students during a class meeting in the school auditorium Nov. 6. Kavcak expressed the importance of not “slacking off” and how students’ actions have consequences. As an example, Kavcak used a former Warren Hills student who had to come back this past summer after graduating to retake a course he had failed in ninth grade; the National Collegiate Athletic Association would not accept the student because of his grade. The grading policy change, which was approved by the Board of Education in October and is currently in effect, is meant to prevent such situations and prepare students for the future, Kavcak said. The schedule change, which will take effect next year, was designed with the same intent and to give students more time during the school day to receive help, Kavcak said. He assured the students, “We are going to work with you on this, do not be scared.” Among the schedule changes planned for next year are school hours will run from 7:40 a.m. through 2:26 p.m., the five-minute daily homeroom period will be eliminated, and a nearly one-hour lunch will include teacher academic support for students and time for extracurricular activities. (Photo by John Veneziano)