Girl Up Helps Support Girls Year-Round

Join Girl Up in Room 326 every Friday to learn how you can help support girls with events like the supply drive. (Photo by Anna Izeppi)

From bake sales to clothing drives, from selling teddy bears to a supply drive, Girl Up aims to support girls in developing countries year-round.

Girl Up is a United Nations organization, which tries to combat the inequality of girls in developing countries by advocating and fundraising.

According to their website, Girl Up’s mission statement states, “Girls are powerful. When they’re educated, healthy, and safe, they transform their communities. When girls stand up for girls in need, they empower each other and transform our world. Girl Up engages girls to take action. Led by a community of nearly half a million passionate advocates raising awareness and funds, our efforts help the hardest to reach girls living in places where it is hardest to be a girl.”

Girl Up was started at Warren Hills in 2016 when senior and President Lauren Walsh heard about the organization at the Hoby Leadership Conference, which is a program that inspires high school volunteer students to live a life with leadership and service.

Walsh felt inspired to bring this club to the high school.

“After being inspired by their mission and commitment to educate girls around the world, I decided to spread the message around my community,” Walsh said.

She proposed the idea to History Teacher Mrs. Debra Rokosny, who agreed to serve as the advisor of Girl Up, who then helped Walsh start the club in 2016.

“Two years ago, she expressed an interest in starting a high school chapter and asked me if I would be the faculty advisor of the club,” said Rokosny. “Girl Up Clubs have a huge impact on adolescent girls around the world by empowering girls in developing countries.”

Recently, Girl Up, in cooperation with Glen Rock High School, held a school supply drive and split the cost of the shipping expense to support an Arogo community in Uganda.

Walsh organized the supply drive in hopes of benefitting the Arogo community, where there is a high level of poverty and illiteracy among women.

“I hope our supply drive will allow girls to not only have materials to assist their learning experience but obtain hope in their future educational careers,” said Walsh.

Although Walsh said that starting the club has meant many trial and error experiences, it was worth it for the help she could contribute to girls around the world.

“The privilege of receiving quality education should never blind us from acknowledging and helping those who do not hold the same opportunities,” said Walsh. “Girl Up offers an opportunity to learn about different cultures, become passionate about human rights and build leadership skills.”