Project Grad: Facts, Fundraisers and What to Expect

Registrations for the event will continue up until June 10th For further information about fundraising and or to register parents and students visit www.whprojectgraduation.com. (Photo by Project Graduation Facebook)

Over the years, Project Graduation has always been held outside of the school, but this year it will be held on school grounds. Preparations are underway for the highly anticipated day, slated to take place after the Graduation Ceremony on June 14th.

Project Grad is an event taking place at thousands of high schools across the country and was started 20 years ago in response to the alcohol and drug related deaths that would occur following graduation at unsupervised student-held parties.

Jason Winch, the head Warren Hills Project Grad coordinator explained, “Project Graduation was originally set up to keep kids from going to parties after graduation with alcohol and drugs. So, we advertise the occasion as an alternative after party.”

Despite a senior class meeting earlier this year, many seniors still seem to be in the dark about what Project Graduation is, the fundraisers supporting it, what activities will be available to students and when the event itself will occur.

“It will be held in both the main and auxiliary gyms, the cafeteria, auditorium, and a few classrooms.”    Winch said. “Some of the events will be mechanical bull riding, laser tag, a hypnotist, a relaxation room, a D.J. and much more.”

Winch assured that this year’s Project Grad will be a fun and worthwhile event.  “Everything we have planned, was all based on input of the students and what they want to have, ” he said. “The school- held Project Grad this year is meant to give the seniors more variety and avoid putting them on a bus for one or two hours right after Graduation.”

So far, this year, a number of fundraising events such as the Prom Girl Fashion Event, a Bowl-A-Thon and the St. Patrick’s Day Dance have been held in support of Project Grad,

Moreover, a number of local businesses, such as the Washington Dairy Queen and the Washington Township Police Department have also donated funds toward the event.

Thus far over $12,000 has been raised toward the ultimate goal of $25,000 needed to fully fund  the 2018 Project Graduation.

Upcoming fundraisers in April include:  a used Clothing Drive, a spaghetti Dinner, and the sale of Project Grad yard signs. Parents and student alike are encouraged to assist in these fundraising efforts.

Though Project Graduation is fast approaching and students are focused on Prom more than anything, Winch is confident that Project Grad will be an event to remember for seniors.

“Project Grad this year is going to be a fun event that serves as a last chance for seniors to get together and do something big.” He said.