The Man, The Smith, The Legend

After slipping on Ice and sustaining an injury, Smith continues teaching, unaffected by doctor’s orders not to walk for another six weeks (Photo by Carson DeAngelis)

James Smith has been teaching Sociology at Warren Hills for 26 years.

Smith was born and raised in Netcong, NJ.  After attending Netcong High School and Lenape Valley High School, Smith went to Trenton State College (now The College of New Jersey) and graduated with a Bachelor of the Arts degree in Sociology/Education.  He then attended graduate school at Montclair, East Stroudsburg, and New York University.

After completing his student teaching in San Juan, Puerto Rico in 1983, Smith got his first teaching job in 1984, where he continued to teach for four years.  After some part time jobs, Smith got his job at Warren Hills in 1992.  Realizing he was with few career options, Smith was glad to have found his job in teaching.

“Honestly, when I realized I was going to graduate with a B.A. in Sociology and limited occupational opportunity, I panicked a little and started examining my career options,” he said.  “Teaching seemed to be something I thought would allow me to use my degree in an interesting, enjoyable job. Turns out, I was right.”

Smith said teaching Sociology is different from teaching other courses because of how it applies to almost anything from TV to riots to fads.  He credited his interest in the subject to two different teachers who had an impact on him throughout his education.

“In high school, I had an English teacher named Dennis Morgan, and in college a professor named Rich Segal,” said Smith.  “They were the first people I had met that were incredibly intelligent and thought outside the box, way outside in some cases.  I was immediately intrigued.”

Following that passion all the way to a full-time job, Smith said that Warren Hills’ positive environment is relatable to him, and a factor in his passion for teaching.

“It’s not that different from the school I attended, and it’s becoming more accepting of all types of people as time goes on,” said Smith.  “[I appreciate] the freedom to do almost whatever I want in my classrooms, that I get to make people go ‘hmmmm’, the interactions I have with students, and the fact that I get to laugh everyday while at work.”

Smith said he is proud to see the number of students taking Sociology and similar electives.  He hopes his teaching helps students to see things in a different light, but finds that the students have a bigger impact on him, staying in contact with him for decades after they leave Warren Hills.

“At the risk of sounding corny, over the years they have become a big part of who I am,” Smith said. “Because of the fact that I interact with teenagers on a regular basis, I think I see things differently than your average 60-year-old male—in a good way.”