Warren Hills Community Day Celebrates 50 Years

Warren Hills Regional High School started the school year by celebrating its 50th anniversary through a variety of Community Day activities that included a color run, a dunk tank, and multiple Blue Streak victories in sports competitions.

Most of the Sept. 30 Community Day festivities took place on the sports complex’s grass, between the tennis courts and football field. School clubs, such as the environmentalist Students Against Vandalizing the Earth (SAVE), Key Club, the agriculture-oriented FFA, and Yearbook, set up booths to promote themselves among local community residents.

Many clubs offered games, like a basketball shoot-off, a pie-in-the-face “Pie-A-Peer” activity sponsored by Peer Leadership, and a “Test-Your-Strength” game. Food included popcorn and flavored-ice treats.

“There is something for whatever you’re interested in,” said WHRHS Principal Christopher Kavcak. “There are sports all day if you enjoy sports. There are games for the kids to enjoy.”

The Third Annual Streak Nation Color Run kicked off Community Day in the morning. The starting line was at the Warren Hills Regional Middle School, about a mile away from the finish line at the high school. The high school marching band performed at the Middle School before the start of the race. Once all the runners were set to go, everybody began throwing different colors of paint, and the runners made their way to the high school.

“We just sprayed people, and it’s our third year doing it,” said participant Celia Bayer, a high school senior. “Maybe I will be coming back (next year). It’s worth coming back.”

An hour later, at 10 a.m., the Warren Hills Tennis Team played Kittatinny Regional High School on the home tennis courts and won 5-0, for the first win in a successful Blue Streak sports day. The Junior Varsity also won, 3-2.

The Girls’ Soccer Team defeated local county rival Belvidere 2-1 at 11 a.m. Julie Duart scored the first goal and Melanie Dowling hit the back of the net for the winning goal. Amanda Tom had an assist and Angela Accetturo accumulated four saves.

In addition, both JV and Varsity players on the Volleyball Team recorded wins in WHRHS’s main gymnasium against another Warren County rival, Hackettstown High School. The JV won 2-1, while the Varsity earned a 2-0 victory.

The Varsity Field Hockey Team beat yet another county opponent, Phillipsburg, by a score of 3-0. Alyssa Appleby, Samantha Dugan, and Rebecca Sigman scored goals, along with assists from Tali Popinko and Alyssa Appleby and a spectacular save from goalie Maggie Titus.

In the evening, the Blue Streak football team played Somerville to a tie at halftime, but was unable to push on for a victory. Somerville won 26-7. The sole Blue Streak touchdown came through a pass from Cooper Gabrich to Hayden Van Solkema. Brayden Philhower added the extra point.

Community Day activities continued into the football game, as the Washington Redskins and the Washington Township  Panthers walked onto the field as a tribute to all the work they do to become future cheerleaders and football players for the Warren Hills team. Throughout the night, the Warren Hills Varsity cheerleaders cheered with the kids and worked on stunts.