Hunter Page: Still Swimmin’

Page suffered a brain hemorrhage in spring of his junior year of college after he left class early from feeling sick. The obstacles that he faced in order to get back to where he is now is absolutely inspirational for people to listen to. Page is continuing treatment while also taking classes and teaching. (Photos courtesy of Christina Page)

We’ve all heard those phrases about life’s challenges, but few people  understand the meaning of “staying afloat in rough waters,” like alumnus Hunter Page (Class of 2016).

Page, who currently works as a paraprofessional at Taylor Street Elementary School, was a junior majoring in Marketing and Communications and a top competitive swimmer at Albright College when he suffered a brain hemorrhage in the spring of 2019.  

The hemorrhage was later found to have been caused by an arteriovenous malformation, a genetic condition that had previously gone undetected.

After 21 days in a coma and surgery at Jefferson Hospital of Neuroscience, Page began his remarkable journey of rehabilitation that continues to this day.   

While medical needs deterred his original plan, he did not stop going to school entirely.  Rather,  he has continued his college education  by taking fewer classes and  is currently taking the last remaining classes to get his teaching certification at Albright College. 

While in high school, Page participated in swimming, which left him with fond memories. He was also an avid Warren Hills Basketball fan. 

“While swimming is, at times, an individual sport, it is just as much a team sport,” he said, “and the group we had made it feel extra special.”

Because of his goal to become a teacher, Page’s high school experience has become something to look back on for advice. 

“I feel that my high school experience helped me prepare for the job I currently have now. I think that as someone who wants to go into the education field, there are certain teachers at Warren Hills that set great examples for how to empathize and care for students while also ensuring that they are learning,” he said. “It is a little different because of such a big age gap, but at this age (three-seven year olds), kids are like mirrors and if you come to them with a smile, odds are that they will give you one back.” 

“Working with the kids gives you a different perspective sometimes and it is often much needed.”

“I predominantly work with K-1. However, there are also six preschool classrooms, so I have done my fair share of working with them and I have since taught myself how to change diapers,” he said. “Making kids happy and seeing how much progress they make is something that I enjoy the most. Working with kids gives you a different perspective sometimes and it is often much needed.” 

Page’s advice for students thinking of a career in education is both simple and practical.

“Make sure that you want to teach,” he said. “It is a difficult career and only gets harder, so you need to be all in.” 

After all that he  has been through, Page has learned to keep to his goals while remaining flexible.

“Plans that I have for my career in the future are nonlinear as of right now and I am still deciding if I would want to teach for the rest of my life,” he said. “I know that I want to move down the shore, to a warmer climate where I can learn to surf and become a beach lifeguard, so I can start coaching swimming again.”