Standout Student: Julia Bisse, Student Leader of the Year

At the National Security Conference hosted by Envision, Bisse stands before the Capitol in Washington, D.C.  
(Photo courtesy of Julia Bisse)

At the National Security Conference hosted by Envision, Bisse stands before the Capitol in Washington, D.C. (Photo courtesy of Julia Bisse)

A common saying, “there’s not enough time in the day,” might be accurate for some people, but for Warren Hills Senior Julia Bisse, it really proves to be true.

Bisse, who describes herself as an “overachiever,” holds leadership positions in almost ten clubs. In addition, she works at Friendly’s and Washington  Public Library.

Bisse said she started getting involved in school activities during her junior year, and even more this year, co-creating our school’s Club and Elective Fairs.

“Co-creating the club and elective fairs was definitely a lot of hard work, but it really paid off,” she said. “When I was a freshman, I had no idea that half of the clubs or electives even existed. I truly believe that If I had known, I could have gotten involved a lot earlier. That’s why we had the idea.” 

Making changes to our school community hasn’t stopped there, though. Recently, Bisse’s remarkable accomplishments and leadership were recognized at the NJASC (New Jersey Association of Student Councils) Conference, where she was awarded Student Council President of the Year.

Bisse is also president of  National Honor Society (NHS), as well as one of the six leaders of the Blue Crew.

“[In Blue Crew], we focus on getting the student section hyped up for Warren Hills athletics. This group has been so much fun and a great way for me to make friends and connections I wouldn’t normally have,” said Bisse. “The same goes for NHS, I love being able to be a leader for my peers, even in such a prestigious club.”

As if those commitments weren’t enough, Bisse is also very involved with the Robotics Club and the Computer Science Club (CS@WH), Girls Coding with Girls.

“I actually was a part of Girls Coding with Girls in fourth or fifth grade,” she said. “Now, being a senior and a mentor, I’ve come full circle. I’m now going into a STEM  major because of it. I really do not know where I would be without the club. It changed my life for the better.” 

Not only is Bisse involved in a good deal of in- school organizations, but out of school as well.

“I’ve attended four Envision leadership programs. It’s a week-long conference where you work on leadership skills with people from all around the world who are presidents of their club or on the executive boards. The program was a great way to connect to other leaders and gain a lot of great advice,” she said.

Bisse said she has enjoyed working with peers and underclassmen in her various leadership roles. 

“Being involved in so many things, I’m really able to connect with so many people, in different grades. I’ve had underclassmen tell me that I inspire them and that they look up to me as a leader and peers tell me that I’ve made senior year memorable and enjoyable,” she said. “Hearing that means so much because it really shows how all my hard work has paid off. I’m really focusing on how to make this school a fun and safe experience for everyone, no matter who they  are.”

After graduation, Bisse plans to further her education at Howard University and to become a project manager.

“My experience and out-of-school connections have set me up with incredible opportunities, and I’m so thankful,” she said. “The reason I keep pushing the student body to get so involved is because I want to set an example for the underclassmen and show that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. If you’re given the opportunity, run with it and really strive to make it the best it can be.”