Healthier Student Lunches Would Benefit Students

Pizza is popular among students during school lunches, but healthier food would serve as a nice complement to such choices. (Photo by Juliana Volpe)

The lunches that Warren Hills Regional High School provides to students are good because there are many options to choose from, but why not also add healthier choices?

Many students talk about the possibility of adding a salad bar for lunch. Those students say they would love a salad bar and would enjoy lunch if they could eat a nice salad with multiple toppings of their choosing.

“I think having a salad bar would be a great idea,” said senior Sophia Zaslow. “I know I would really like that.”

Countless students agree with Zaslow, with some students especially intrigued by the fact that a salad bar could be a healthy addition to their lunchtime routine.

“The healthy options for school lunches are limited, and as for the other foods normally given… well, let’s just say they don’t always look very appetizing,” said junior Max Lauton.

When I go to lunch, I look around at all the food choices, and I notice that there are not many healthy options.

Too much food also seems to be wasted, with a very decent amount being thrown out that could have been eaten. Healthier options at lunch could change this fact and lessen the amount of wasted food.

During lunchtime conversations in the cafeteria, students often get excited over the possibility of eating a healthy lunch at school every day. Such an option for all students would result in positive impacts, not the least of which would be the fostering of healthier lifestyles.

A healthy lunch at school is essential to optimal student well-being. For the many years that I have been eating school lunches, I remember the topic of healthier lunches always coming up when talking to my friends.

Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help reduce the risk of many leading causes of illness and death, such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and obesity,” according to an analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Despite these positive health benefits, few adults [9%] meet the recommendations.”

A healthier diet may have a hand in improving grades and alertness during the school day. Students would start paying more attention to what they are learning in class and put more effort into their homework, projects and tests.

All high school students need nutritious, balanced, healthy diets. Children and young adults are in need of the daily minimum required nutrients to help build healthy bones, increase cognitive functions and aid immune systems.

Simple steps like more fresh fruits and vegetables will help school lunches become healthier.   Students are in school five out of seven days a week, and they eat lunch in school all five of those days. During that time, they should be eating food that tastes good and that can benefit their health.

The current main choice for a side dish is french fries. Students would be better off with healthier options for a side, instead of fried food.

Overall, healthier school lunches would benefit students greatly, as well as boost students’ grades and health.