Despite Challenges, Field Hockey Scores Strong Season

The Warren Hills Field Hockey Team gets psyched up together for a home game during the fall 2021 season. (Photo by Ryleigh Reagan)

The girls’ Field Hockey Team ended the season Nov. 5 in the sectional semi-final game, losing to Randolph 4-1. Despite the season ending a little earlier than usual the Streaks won a state championship in a COVID-shortened season last year it was a strong effort for the Lady Streaks, with varsity’s final record of 15-6-1, and junior varsity’s final record of 11-3.

Throughout the varsity season’s 22 games, players put away a total of 51 goals, 29 of them with assists.

The Streaks’ top scorers were senior forward and captain Madison Summitt, and sophomore midfielder Sarah Salameh, with 17 goals each.

On the defensive end, sophomore goalkeeper Sydney White made a total of 159 saves. She ended the season with a save percentage of 72 percent. The defenders for the Lady Streaks also made an impressive number of defensive saves, with 19 in total.

The season had many ups and downs, with a lot of wins but some devastating losses and injuries.

Some of the season’s highlights included beating Warren Hills’ longtime rival Hackettstown in the first game, 2-0. Another high point was in the sectional quarterfinal, when the Streaks beat perennially strong Chatham 3-1.

Unfortunately, the season featured some low points as well. Two of the biggest losses in the season were to North Hunterdon at home, 3-2 in overtime, and then again in the Hunterdon Warren Sussex (HWS) Tournament finals 3-1. The Streaks also suffered some major injuries, with senior defender and captain Emily Dvorsky partially tearing her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in a home game against Ridge, which put her out for the rest of the season.

“After an injury during the season, watching from the sidelines wasn’t ideal,” Dvorsky said. “But still, being there to cheer on my teammates and help as much as I could was all I could ask for.”

Senior forward Dimitra Georgoutsos also suffered a season-ending injury when she suffered a concussion, and needed several stitches, after getting hit by a ball in practice.

With injuries, and having a young team in general, the Streaks definitely had some obstacles to overcome.

“Despite the lack of varsity experience on our roster, I am really proud of our growth this season as a team.” said junior forward and midfielder Gabriella Fama.

The team’s overall youth was a major theme of this season, the youngest members being seven freshmen who were new to the Field Hockey program.

“Going into being new to the program, I was honestly nervous,” said freshman forward Brynn Nemeth. “After meeting all of my teammates, we all clicked immediately.”

On the opposite end of the new freshmen were five seniors, each with four years of  high school Field Hockey experience. The seniors included Georgoutsos, Dvorsky, Summit, defender Holly Ort, and midfielder Ryleigh Reagan.

Summit plans to play field hockey at Ball State University in Indiana. Dvorsky plans to play at The College of New Jersey.

The five seniors gained a reputation of putting a great amount of dedication and work into the program, and the underclassmen agree that they will miss them for the fall 2022 season.

As for next season, Head Varsity Coach Josie Potter is looking for continued positive results, with a desire to take back the sectional title.

“I hope we continue to grow and achieve as a team,” she said.