Busy FFA Cultivates State Award-Winning Teams

The Floral Design Career Development Event (CDE) team of Warren Hills’ FFA (left to right, seniors Grace Ferri and Devon Meshach, junior Rebecca Smith and senior Emily Leidner) placed sixth in state competition this year. The Warren Hills FFA, which is a local chapter of the national science, technology and business organization for students interested in agriculture, earned several awards in the New Jersey state competition, which was done online this year due to COVID-19. The Dairy Judging CDE team placed second in the state (Ferri, Meshach, Smith and freshman Sarah Serrao), and the Horse Judging CDE team (Meshach, Serrao, Leidner and senior Abigail Pyskaty) placed first in the state. This means that both teams are able to compete in regionals and nationals this year. The Meat Evaluation CDE team (Smith, seniors Tyler Castner and Emilia Quelly, and junior Sydney Staniulis) placed third. The Veterinary Science CDE team (Quelly, Leidner, Staniulis and junior Holly Ort)  placed fifth, while the Floriculture (flower farming) CDE team (seniors Brianna Riedmueller and Jacquleena Galindez, junior Sarah Schlaffer and sophomore Kristina Los-Chovanec) placed second in the state. “I really enjoyed being a part of the floriculture team,” Los-Chovanec said.I really liked going to the floral shop learning about the different flowers and it was such a satisfying feeling to place high with our hard work.” In addition, the FFA club is planning for Food for America Day and sharing knowledge of live animals with special education classes. Throughout the day they will be filming the event in order to create a presentation for the sending district elementary school students to see. FFA members also have been busy growing plants in the school’s greenhouse. The plants, many of which they plan to sell to the public, include but are not limited to pansies, a variety of vegetables, and herbs.