Film Design Students Have Another Successful Year

Photo Courtesy of Brooks Reehl

Produced by Brooks Reehl and Will Colavito, “In Time” explores the physical and mental abuse of a child by his father and what leads up to the child’s imprisonment.

The Film Design Students have received many honors this year despite the pandemic, with original films being selected to screen in five film festivals throughout the world.

Categories ranged from horror to drama and suspense and were screened as far as South Korea at the Busan International Kids and Youth Film Festival. This year’s film festivals were all held online and could be seen world-wide. According to Film Design Teacher Richard Patricia, “this was a challenging year for many students, but they were able to come up with many new ways to produce great films despite the limitations that they encountered.” 

Patricia said many students used their own personal cell phones to record films and were provided with a program to edit their videos at home. Though it was a challenge at times, the students pushed forward and produced solid films. 

“I’m very proud of the film students and am so excited to see what they can produce once they return to school and can once again work on the classroom editing stations that are a bit more challenging, but are more aligned to what the industry uses,” he said.

The student films that were selected this year include the following: “Ann Marie” by junior Laura Grobholz was selected by the 13th Annual Kent Place Film Festival, the First-Time Filmmakers Session, and the Frame by Frame Film Fest. “In Time” by seniors Brooks Reehl and Will Colavito ran in five film festivals and was selected by the 13th Annual Kent Place Film Festival, the First-Time Filmmaker Sessions, the Frame by Frame Film Fest, the Horror Lust Film Festival and the Busan International Kids and Youth Film Festival in South Korea. “Why I Matter” by Film I student, senior Ellie Higgins was selected to screen at the 13th Annual Kent Place Film Festival and “The Mask” by Film I student, junior Zach Neves screened at the Horror Lust Film Festival.