Bleacher Feature: Zachary Fisher

Tri-Athlete to Tri-Coach

Coach+Zachary+Fisher+looks+on+intensely+during+a+wrestling+match.+

(Photo courtesy of Zachary Fisher)

Coach Zachary Fisher looks on intensely during a wrestling match.

If you have ever gone to a wrestling match,  it is hard to miss an energetic coach jumping and clapping from the Warren Hills section, but Coach Zachary Fisher brings this excitement while he coaches every sport. 

Fisher is an assistant varsity wrestling coach, assistant track and field coach and an assistant coach for the soccer team, while also being a history teacher here at Warren Hills.

Beginning in elementary school, wrestling was the sport where Fisher most made his mark.  He excelled during his term at Phillipsburg High School, where he performed with distinction as a two-time Hunterdon- Warren-Sussex place winner and finalist, 2nd Team Skyland Conference ranker  and two-time District finalist with over 90 career wins. 

Fisher also excelled at cross country and track and field at Phillipsburg High School. earning his varsity letters (a combined 10 from all sports) and made 2nd Team in the Skyland Conference for cross country.

”Cross country and pole-vaulting were found talents for me in high school,”  he said. ”I was too small to play football and chose to give running a chance.”

With all these accomplishments, competing  at the collegiate level was inevitable. 

He attended Ursinus College and competed in pole vaulting and wrestling, earning the Academic Scholar All-American and Centennial Scholar Athlete Award for two seasons.   Fisher graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History in 2017.

Fisher coached middle school wrestling and track and /field at Spring-Ford District in Chester County, Pennsylvania while he was a student in college and is where his coaching began. 

Returning to the area in 2017, Fischer said he jumped at the chance for a teaching and coaching position at Warren Hills. 

“I absolutely love coaching here at Warren Hills,” he said. “I have had multiple family members that have won state titles,sectional titles and conference titles at Warren Hills.” 

This year, COVID 19 has had an effect on everyone’s lives and Fisher said his athletes are no different. 

“Motivation has been a major element,” he said. “It is very difficult to stay motivated, especially for the wrestlers with the season being moved to March. I hope to have a healthy winter and spring season. I really hope our athletes can compete amidst the pandemic.” 

With winter sports starting up and having already coached in the fall, Fisher is no stranger to the new COVID guidelines. 

“Obviously, the pandemic has not been the easiest situation to manage as a coach. Practice schedules and developing different practice plans for all sports has been challenging considering the equipment and resources we use for wrestling, soccer and track,” he said. “I believe I have adapted well to the situation by being creative with planning.”

Having now coached at both the middle school and high school for four years, Fisher said he has had many great moments in his coaching career.

“Throughout all the seasons I have coached so far, there have been countless moments that come to mind,” he said.  “Being in the corner during the Wrestling State Championships, defeating Del-Val for the first Wrestling Conference Title since 1990, winning a Sectional and Skylands Conference title in pole vaulting, defeating Bernards in soccer are a few. to say the least.” 

Although he has had great success, the trophies aren’t why Fisher coaches. 

“The  awards, trophies, accomplishments are great,” he said. “However, seeing students grow into successful young adults is the end game.” 

Every good coach leaves their athletes with skills they can bring into life and Fisher has his own words of wisdom.

“You cannot change what happened in the past and therefore dwelling on what you have done or could have done, does not fix the next challenge,” he said. “Success is not a destination, there will always be another hurdle, obstacle, score, record or opponent to beat. Success is a journey, so embrace the opportunity, let it fly, and compete for your success.”