Cabaret Night: A Night to Remember

Emily Gilligan, Gretchen Fix, Emma Kaiven and Alex Lino perform their song “I’m a Woman” from Smokey Joe’s Cafe. (Photo by Carlee Fisco)

From solos to group numbers, a variety of musical talent was showcased from the members of Select Choir at their annual Cabaret Night Feb. 12.

Cabaret Night is held each year as a fundraiser for the Select Choir, with the funds going toward their New York and Hershey Park trips.

This year’s performance was opened by junior Emily Gilligan and senior Alex Lino. They performed a comical rendition of “All for the Best” from Godspell in which they added welcoming sentiments to the show, setting an upbeat mood for the rest of the night.

Another comical song that had the audience laughing was “Nothing” from A Chorus Line, sung by sophomore Julianne Magistrado.

When asked why she chose the song, Magistrado responded, “It was about an actress who couldn’t improv, and I can’t improv, so it worked.”

Freshmen Abby Lamour and Ian Higgins also had the audience giggling away with their song, “The Song that Goes Like This,” from Spamalot. As the song went on, the tempo kept getting faster and faster, leaving both Lamour and

Higgins exasperated, but with big smiles on their faces.

Not only were there fast, upbeat songs, there was also a smattering of slow, passionate pieces.
Senior Gretchen Fix performed the renowned song “Burn” from Hamilton, creating a somber mood.

Going along with the melancholy theme, four-year choir member and senior Emma Kaiven sang “Not a Day Goes By” from Merrily We Roll Along, a piece that showcased her soprano voice.

“I’m here to enjoy the night and to share music with my friends and family,” Kaiven said, when asked how she felt about it being her last Cabaret Night.

Other performances included a rendition of “Waving Through a Window” from Dear Evan Hansen, sung by junior Jason Brahman; “Mr. Cellophane” from Chicago, sung by sophomore Bryant Aguire; and “Being Alive” from Company, sung by senior Elijah Camacho.

Another performer was sophomore Abigail Thomas, who sang “In My Own Little Corner’’ from Cinderella the Musical. Her soprano voice, paired with the sweetness of the song, made for a stellar performance.

Along with friends, family and teachers, many choir alumni joined the audience to see their beloved traditions in action without them. Among them was 2019 graduate Brian Quigley, who commented on the show: “Actually hearing the piano, sitting in the audience, it was great.”

The night came to a close with a quintet comprising seniors Emma Kaiven, Alex Lino, and Vanessa Falzarano, with juniors Kaileigh Cagnassola and Emily Gilligan. They performed “Mamma Who Bore Me (Reprise)” from the show Spring Awakening, which was a fun and upbeat song that ended the show with the audience on its feet.

“My favorite part about Cabaret Night is watching everyone get to sing what they love,” Falzarano said.