New Club SLAMs into Hills

A SLAM (Student Literature and Art Magazine) poster hanging on an entrance door welcomes students to the high school library. The Horizons’ SLAM met for the first time Feb 7. SLAM is a new club organized by Warren Hills Regional High School Librarian Margaret Devine and sophomore Stephanie Dunlap. SLAM gives students an opportunity to join the writing community at Warren Hills through writing activities, author’s chairs, open mics, guest speakers, and eventual publication of the students’ original work in the Student Literature and Art Magazine. The first activity the students performed was creating Life Maps, where they drew pictures of their childhood homes, favorite rooms, streets they live on, or something similar. The point of this activity is to generate a conversation about a detail in the picture that the students can write about and to help the students get to know each other. “I think that the first meeting went really well,” said Dunlap. “We had a few students come and they really enjoyed working on their Life Maps. I hope that as we get farther in the year we will have more people come to help get writers in our school connected.” (Photo by Sam Bradley)