SAVE Warns Against Fast Fashion

Sophomore Thomas Finnegan of the Warren Hills environmentalist SAVE Club presents a library showcase on fast fashion and its consequences on Feb. 6. Many fast fashion clothing companies maintain that they are environmentally friendly, while neglecting to elaborate on how or why. “Fast fashion is, according to Dictionary.com, ‘inexpensive clothing produced rapidly by mass-market retailers in response to the latest trends,’ said sophomore Stephanie Dunlap, a member of the SAVE Club. In actuality, these major brands locate production in underdeveloped parts of the world, where they can overwork children and underpay workers, according to the SAVE showcase presentation. While true eco-friendly companies, such as Patagonia and Reformation, tend to be more expensive, their clothes are of better quality and will last longer. “Making an effort to change is what really matters,” said SAVE Club Executive Anna Izeppi, a senior. “We’re not asking you to stop shopping. It’s more about making good decisions when you are purchasing clothes.” (Photo by Samantha Bradley)