Students Concoct Smoothies for Biochem Unit

Mrs. Elizabeth Meehan’s CP Biology classes presented smoothies in a biochemistry unit competition in mid-November. Student groups had been assigned a target market that included people with Type 1 Diabetes, Kidney Disease, or Crohn’s Disease. The objective was for the students to create smoothies with nutritional elements beneficial for the particular disease and have the smoothie still taste good. “The benefits I hope students will gain include learning content in a more meaningful way and the development of skills that are recognized as crucial for success beyond high school,” Meehan said. “Students are also able to learn beyond the textbook by exploring different health issues and the relevance of biological macromolecules to their own nutritional needs.” Judges for Meehan’s Block G class were Principal Christopher Kavcak, Mrs. Emily Kablis, and Mrs. Lolita Trifiletti. Pictured are some of Mrs. Meehan’s Block G students concocting and presenting their special drinks. The winners for Block G were a tie between sophomores Sydney Adetula, Erin Carroll, and Nicolette Costa’s Pink Drink and freshmen Emma Smith, Hailey Ott, and Hailey Anderson’s Hail Emma. The prize was a one-time use 5-point pass to be used for a Marking Period 2 assignment. (Photo by Aidan McHenry)