What’s Cool For Back To School?

Senior Anna Venetis, Senior Iyan Kariuki, Sophomore Destiny Sheppard and Senior Eric Hardy pose in their favorite looks. (Photos courtesy of subjects)

Every school year ushers in a new wave of high school fashion trends filing through the blue and white halls. With back to school supplies shopping comes the scramble to catch up with the latest crazes that summer predicts.

This year’s newer coalition of trends mostly consists of fanny packs, crop tops, scrunchies, crewnecks, leggings, long sleeve tees, polos, peasant blouses, bell bottoms, puka shell necklaces, and crew socks paired with sandals, Filas, Converse, or Vans.

Recurring trends persist, such as vintage clothing based on thrifting and upcycling.,

No matter the preference, it is clear that fashion plays a key role in students’ mood for the school day.

As sophomore Gwen Carin said, “It determines if you’re late or not to school, if you’re lazy or energetic.”

For senior Brianna Mullvihill, whose passion is for vintage fashion, dressing for school is more than just making an appearance in the hallways.

“I love the look and comfort of vintage clothes,” she said. “They make me feel like I’m in those classic movies.”

Senior Molly Vatuna’s said her morning routine and even the rest of her day is based around finding the perfect outfit, changing multiple times if she cannot find the perfect outfit the night before, making her room a mess.

“Once you realize you have something you want to wear you feel better about your day and how you look. For me, if I wear something I like, I’ll definitely take 30 pictures that day.”

Though a tremendous amount of effort appears to go into Hills students’ outfits everyday, the general consensus is comfort and function.

“I wear what I feel comfortable and confident in,” said junior Zara Mohammad.

Loungewear and oversized clothing dominates, and, as sophomore Gabriella Martinez said, “leggings go with anything”.

Function during school brings the addition of practical accessories into daily looks.

“Pockets are overrated,” said senior Iyan Kariuki, who opts for a fanny pack most days.

With the standard comfort craze also comes intense ends of the spectrum for teen girls: e-girls and VSCO girls.

EJ Dickinson, writing for Rolling Stone, defines VSCO girls from the popular Instagram-esque platform as girls whose, “hair is long and lush and is either pulled up into a messy bun or effortlessly cascades down her back. Her shirts are adorably baggy, while her shorts are so tiny as to be virtually nonfunctional.”

E-girls (and the less prevalent e-boys) also stem from a strong internet presence, with roots in emo/scene fashion.

Chelsea Ritschel, writing for The Independent, said the basis of an e-girl, “typically includes hair dyed shades of blue, pink, or other colours of the rainbow. The makeup is the most iconic part of the look, with e-girls often choosing heavy black winged eyeliner and bright blush swept across their cheeks and noses.

Each year’s new trends do not magically appear out of thin air. In our social media driven age, high school students rely on one another and their phones to determine their back to school must-haves.

Junior Felicity Fallas said she thinks social media’s accessible nature makes it a tool for the teenage fashion pool.

“You see different color schemes and styles, and you recreate them.”

Teen guy looks stand in contrast with its general simplicity. Senior Joe Carey noticed a basic formula with guy fashion: jeans, joggers, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, vans, sneakers.

“This is perhaps due to the larger selection to clothing available to them. Look at how much bigger and varied the girls clothing section is compared to boys the next time you go shopping”

Despite the distinctions in guy and girl fashion, senior Jillian Patino said she is noticing less delineation, even in Hills.

“Men are starting to wear feminine and women have been wearing masculine,” she said. “Fashion has become more freeing.”