Ajayi Crowned Mr. Warren Hills

In the final counting, which included category winners from the week of Mr. Warren Hills activities, Jackson was named first runner up by the judges, Rosillo was named Mr. Philanthropy for raising the most money, Galka was given the title Mr. Congeniality by his fellow contestants, Hamilton was named Cutest Baby, Mullan was named Best Legs by student voters and Galka was named the Fan Favorite, based on the audience’s reception. (Photo courtesy of The Lamaton)

Student Council hosted their annual Mr. Warren Hills talent show on the evening of Friday, March 22, following a week of activities leading up to the event.

Fourteen seniors competed in the show, hosted by Student Council President Lexi Westley and Vice President Paola Benavides. 

A panel of judges included Art teacher Vittoria Busardo, Science teacher Elizabeth Nicolosi, Math teacher Marshall Cuomo and  a “special guest” judge, junior Iyan Kariuki, who served as the lone student on the panel. 

Fourteen seniors dazzled the audience in the four-part contest for the coveted title: Duro Ajayi, Nick Galka, Zach Hamilton, Dylan Hourihan, Cody Jackson, Garrett Koch, Andrew Marchese, Sean Morris, Malcolm Mullan, Chris Ostir, Dominic Palazzolla, Anthony Rosillo, Brian Quigley and Hayden Van Solkema.

First up was the talent portion of the show, with Galka opening in full matador attire waving a red flag at his “bull,” played by Ajayi.

Ajayi was next, and with a circle of fellow contestants around him, performed his own powerful slam poetry wearing a college professor-esque sweater.  

Mullan took a walk on the wild side and performed a circus-like lion taming act.

Ostir patriotically whistled the “Star Spangled Banner,” while the crowd stood and placed their hands over their hearts in solidarity.

Hamilton became the star of the stage with his own rendition of Romeo and Juliet, that featured a buff Juliet, played by Galka, who helped defend against the Capulets. 

Marchese chose to take his act in a painful direction and let his good friend, Van Solkema, wax his legs. 

Dressed as a middle-aged dad at a soccer game, Palazzolla performed the most eye-roll worthy dad-jokes.

“What makes a dad-joke a dad-joke?” he quipped.  “It could be that it isn’t funny anymore, or when it becomes apparent!” 

Next up was Van Solkema who entered the stage, dramatically flipped his hair and then exited the stage. The crowd went wild. 

Morris directed the audience through the long process of making a turkey sandwich with mayo and cheese. 

Jackson performed a rendition of “Just The Way You Are,” by Bruno Mars, with his childhood friend, senior Sal Montero, playing piano. 

Rosillo channeled his inner David Blaine for a mind-bending card trick that didn’t quite go as planned, but was mesmerizing nonetheless.

Hourihan displayed his ninja-like agility by balancing two eggs on spoons and jumping through hula hoops in an obstacle course.

Koch was the final student  to show his talent, with his dog, Brodie, who sat, gave his paw and, with little success, caught a treat.

Following the talent portion, the contestants previewed their summer 2019 beach look, Crocs and all.

The students wowed the crowd in the formal wear competition, all in dapper tuxedos donated by Frantoni’s Fashions for Men in downtown Washington.

Judge Cuomo said he was impressed by the clean-cut contestants.

“You guys look fantastic,” he said. “I don’t have a negative thing to say right now.” 

After each senior displayed his suit and tie once more and the five finalists  answered mind-straining questions, Duro Ajayi was crowned Mr. Warren Hills of 2019.

Judge Busardo captured the sentiment of the event in one sentence. 

“The amount of talent at Warren Hills,” she said, “is pretty impressive.”