The Streak

FFA Celebrates Historic Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

FFA Celebrates Historic Week

Two chinchillas were brought into the FFA program, Macy and Miranda. 
(Photo by Jasa Kopack)

Two chinchillas were brought into the FFA program, Macy and Miranda. (Photo by Jasa Kopack)

Jasa Kopack, Staff Reporter

The Warren Hills FFA celebrated their program during National FFA Week in February.

According to FFA.org, “National FFA Week is a time for FFA members to host activities that raise awareness about the role the FFA plays in the development of agriculture’s future leaders and the importance of agricultural education.”

Patricia Smith, the Warren Hills  advisor, President Beth Wheelan, and Vice President Sarah Chaplain worked hard to prepare for FFA Week. Smith’s science classes also helped with planning and made decorations for the week.

“FFA Week is about celebrating as well as recognizing agriculture through our school. FFA chapters throughout the country participate  in educating the population, mainly students, about how important agriculture is in our lives and how we are preparing future leaders of agriculture,” said Wheelan. “We do it through fun and games, so we all learn and have a good time with each other.”

Wheelan said FFA Week has been going on for 71 years to celebrate everything agriculture has to offer.

“The National FFA Board of Directors started FFA Week in 1948 as a legacy to President Washington, who was a farmer as well,” she said. “ The tradition still stands strong today, as we continue to have this event as a full week, as opposed to just one or two days.”

Wheelan said the week started with a few members going to Tractor Supply to educate customers about FFA.

“We bought a pinwheel with questions so customers could answer trivia questions about FFA and agriculture,” said Wheelan,  “and we brought small animals to gain attention and let people pet them.” 

The next event was a Valentine’s Day flower sale, where  they had so many sales, they almost sold out of roses.

“The flower sales on Valentine’s Day certainly got us a good deal of money,”  said Wheelan.   “For now, we’re saving it, but we may use some of it to help fund our trip to the State FFA Convention.”

Many animals were brought to the FFA’s petting zoo, which was held during lunch.

“Some animals were brought from the zoo, but not all of them,” said Wheelan.  “We brought up the chinchillas, a few bunnies, a couple of guinea pigs that made their way through a mini maze, and silky chickens. We also had a hedgehog out for people to see.”

Wheelan said FFA members were excited about the events of the week, which ended with  a salsa competition.

“My favorites would have to be the petting zoo and the salsa competition,” she said. “I mean, who doesn’t love petting furry animals and eating good salsa?”