The Streak

Kubbishun Aims to Conquer Conference

Head+Coach+Stanley+Kubbishun+gives+his+team+instructions+in+the+huddle+during+a+timeout+in+a+game+versus+Voorhees+in+January+of+last+season.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+LehighValleyLive%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Kubbishun Aims to Conquer Conference

Head Coach Stanley Kubbishun gives his team instructions in the huddle during a timeout in a game versus Voorhees in January of last season. (Photo courtesy of LehighValleyLive)

Aidan McHenry, Sports Editor

Head boys basketball coach Stanley Kubbishun is entering his 33rd year teaching at Warren Hills and his 32nd season of coaching basketball.

The seasoned veteran has also coached football and track for many years. Along with coaching basketball he is also is the assistant to the athletic director. He helps out doing various jobs in the athletic office including athletic eligibility.

Kubbishun has achieved many great feats during his years coaching, including being the first Warren County girls basketball team to win a Hunterdon-Warren-Sussex (HWS) Tournament in 1997. He also led the team to a sectional title and a state final appearance that season. In 2016, the team was inducted to the Blue Streak Wall of Fame.

Regarding boys basketball, he won a sectional title during the 2015-16 campaign that featured star point guard Johnny Bamford who wound up playing for Division III Wilkes University.

Kubbishun spoke on the current season for which he has high hopes.

“Our goals for this basketball season are to win our division, do well in the HWS Tournament, and qualify for the State Tournament,” he established.

The team clinched their first division title since the 1992-93 season with a 41-28 victory over Bernards in late January.

Kubbishun said that he has had many successful players play for him over his years.

“Over the course of my career, I have coached many 1000 point scorers,” he said.

Add senior guard James Jordan to that list as dropped his 1000th point in late December.

Kubbishun expressed love for coaching the game of basketball.

“My favorite part of coaching is watching the players learn how to play the game,” Kubbishun said. “As freshmen they really don’t understand the nuances of the game, but by the time they are seniors, they pretty much do.”

This year’s team seems to be well on its way to achieving his goal as the stand at eight wins in ten games of conference play.

The 2018-19 season could turn out to be even better than that 2015-16 season in which the team won 22 games and earned an appearance in the state semifinal.

He says that he appreciates his many years of coaching and teaching in the district.

“I find myself very fortunate to be at the same school for so many years,” Kubbishun said.

He added, “I have been around some outstanding administrators, coaches, and teachers who have made a positive impact on my career in the classroom and coaching.”