STEM Alumni Return

Many+Warren+Hills+alumni+have+found+either+promising+careers+or+eye-opening+internships+in+the+STEM+field+at+companies%2C+such+as+Microsoft%2C+Lockheed+Martin%2C+Deutsche+Bank%2C+FabFitFun%2C+General+Electric+Aviation%2C+and+the+US+Navy%2C+among+others.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Mrs.+Bela+Shah%29+

Many Warren Hills alumni have found either promising careers or eye-opening internships in the STEM field at companies, such as Microsoft, Lockheed Martin, Deutsche Bank, FabFitFun, General Electric Aviation, and the US Navy, among others. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Bela Shah)

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) careers have taken many Warren Hills alumni to great heights after graduation. In early January, many returned to speak on their experiences through the STEM Alumni Showcase, hosted by Computer Science teacher Daryl Detrick.

A total of 39 Warren Hills alumni from 2011-2018 who have pursued careers in STEM fields discussed what their lives have been like in college and in the workforce while maintaining a presence in the world of STEM.

STEM job growth has expanded to over 17.3 million jobs, “outpacing overall US job growth,” according to the Pew Research Center. With so many jobs available in so many different fields, more and more students are tempted to find what they love to do in the field.

“Every company is looking for someone with a computer science degree,” said 2018 graduate and Computer Science major Colin Corde. “Whether you’re coding or some information guy taking inventory, they need you.” After graduating from Ramapo College, Corde hopes to find a job working in artificial intelligence.

Soon, the demand for those STEM capabilities will be more difficult than ever to ignore.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, “in 2016, engineers had a median annual wage of $91,010—more than twice the median wage for all workers.”

This growing demand has led to more students pursuing their interests in both high school and college and has assisted many in pursuing the bright futures they have in mind.

Joseph Finnegan, a 2018 alumnus and Civil and Environmental Engineering major at Rutgers, hopes to find work for the U.S. government.

“Once I get out of college, I hope to get a job with the government establishing and enforcing environmental regulations,” said Finnegan.

Just as CS@WH has opened many doors for students, reportedly so has Detrick; he has been a main credit for several alumni’s success.

AJ Lea, a 2016 graduate and an Operations Research and Information Engineering major at Cornell University, credited Warren Hills and Detrick for allowing him to do what he loves.

“Warren Hills provides a lot of opportunities, especially with what Mr. Detrick is doing with his computer science classes. It’s a lot more than other high schools,” said Lea. “It makes me want to continue the experience. It’s a good stepping point to build off of.”