Jones Rejoins Hills as Athletic Director

Mr. Jones posing in front of a Warren Hills Student of the Week poster. (Photo by Jasa Kopack)

Which Warren Hills alumnus and star athlete is now the athletic director? That would be Michael Jones, Class of 1998.  

Jones is featured on the Wall of Fame for his outstanding performance as a four-year varsity quarterback, an experience he recalls with gratitude. 

“It was a blessing last May when I found out that I made it for the Wall of Fame and when I walked through these halls 20 years ago, I never thought it was a possibility,” Jones said. “I loved playing for this school and being a student athlete. Then to get the job here afterwards was just the icing on the cake.”

Jones said his previous positions as a chief school administrator and a special education director in Hunterdon County helped prepare him for the administrative aspects of his current position, but that he always wanted to apply that expertise to sports administration. 

“I always wanted to be an athletic director,” he said. “It was something I wanted to do when I left Warren Hills 20 years ago. I wanted to get into administration, but I also wanted to get into sports and lead a bunch of sports programs.” 

Jones said the best part of his job is interacting with students. 

“The best part of being an athletic director is being around student athletes and the opportunity to show my enthusiasm for them as athletes, and as students,” he said. “That is what is most important–getting to the games and cheering them on and getting pumped up for them is the best part.”

Regardless of their sport, Warren Hills student athletes said they have noticed Jones’ support and enthusiasm. 

“Mr. Jones is supportive of every sport,” senior Anthony Rosillo said.  “I play football myself and he’s always trying to be at our practices and games. One day he actually participated in one of our practices. He made it very fun. He was very competitive and he’s an overall good figure to follow. He’s still into our sport and it’s cool to watch him be who he is.”  

Sophomore Tucker Gabrich agreed. 

“Mr. Jones brings great energy to our Warren Hills community,” he said. “He has encouraged me to play better by being supportive of the football team and coming to a lot of our games.” 

Sophomore Liz Schlaffer, a varsity field hockey player, backed up the football players’ comments.

“I think Mr. Jones is very supportive of all sports and clubs and I have noticed that he tries to attend many sports events,” she said.

Sophomore Hannah DeVoe, a JV cheerleader, agreed. 

“I notice that Mr. Jones shows an appreciation for every sport and player. He is always ready to give a very inspirational speech to the teams,” she said.  “Mr. Jones came to support the cheerleaders at their Skyland Competition. Mr. Jones has given every team the support they need to be successful.”

Freshman Mauricio Wong, a varsity soccer player, also agreed. 

“I think he is good at his job, he gives great advice and I know I can talk to him if I need anything,” he said. “Mr. Jones encouraged me to not play dirty and to respect my teammates, coaches and our opponents.”

For Jones, encouraging student-athletes is what his job is all about.

“It’s a lot of time but I love it,” he said.  “I love being around in these hallways. My job is fun and the best thing about it is the people around that support me here at Warren Hills.”