DECA Showcases Its Benefits

DECA’s WH Club Members (Photo by Brianna Riedmueller)

Are you interested in business, and want scholarship and job opportunities? If so, DECA is the club for you.

During the DECA Showcase in early October the members explained the benefits of joining DECA and through a variety of subgroups showed what sorts of skills students can attain.

Before the DECA members split the audience into groups, DECA Vice President Jack Warsen talked about what skills can be gained from joining DECA and how there are many scholarship opportunities.

“You can become academically prepared, community oriented, professionally responsible, and an experienced leader,” Warsen told the audience. “If you compete there [Kean University] and you place, you can head up to the state competition which is in Atlantic City. There are some educational conferences and leadership positions. There’s scholarship rewards as well.”

The Management group talked about role plays that simulated the process of getting a job, a vital component of the competitions.

“There are indicators to meet the judges’ requirements,” said DECA member Daniel Pitsch. “Some requirements are the ability to speak and [to follow] a dress code, but there are normally more than two requirements.”

The Hospitality group members were sent to the side of the library where they were encouraged to make their own product using things like water bottles or hair ties.

“DECA has given me business skills and real-life skills to run my business worldwide,” said DECA member Dylan Hourihan, who runs his own business called Guerilla Apparel. “It has helped me learn what hard work really is and what it takes to run a business.”

DECA members also explained that there is a $35 fee in order to join. The members said it is worth it to pay the fees because there are lots of scholarship opportunities, and they all have lots of fun.

“My favorite memory was going to the competition at Kean University and getting to meet all the different people, learning about them, and learning how DECA is different at their school,” said Hourihan.

DECA member Anthony Rosillo talked about how the most important memory to him was being rejected and how it is very important to understand how hard you have to work to succeed.

“I didn’t place, I worked pretty hard on the stuff, and we were pretty mad when we didn’t place,” he said. “It made me realize that DECA shows you what hard work really is. If you don’t work hard, you’re not going to succeed, and DECA really helps you with that.”

All 30 Warren Hills students who have signed up for the DECA club have a lot of fun, but also work hard. The students feel the club is preparing them for college and in their future careers. They recommend DECA for other students who want to further their education.

Rosillo, however, said he has a plan for this year’s competitions.

“This year, I’m going to work really hard,” he said, “and make sure I place at states, and win nationals.”