Military Industrial Complex Wastes Money and Lives

Many Americans work long hours to earn a proper income. On top of that, a significant portion of their income goes to the government in the form of taxes. Taxes are supposed to help run the government, but too much tax money is wasted on pointless wars by the Military Industrial Complex. This dangerous group of companies not only wastes the money of hard-working Americans, but puts innocent civilians at risk, all for their own financial benefit.

The Military Industrial Complex, a group of industries that make weapons and other military materials for war, has a substantial influence on the U.S. government and its foreign affairs. Some well-known companies and organizations that have publicly announced their involvement in the Military Industrial Complex include AT&T, Arizona State University, American Apparel, Burlington Apparel, Boeing, John Deere, Johns Hopkins University, Shell Oil and Rolls Royce.

These industries not only influence the government, but also control it. Because the United States privatized its weapons industry, the Military Industrial Complex profits from war, thus influencing events around the world in order for countries to start wars for their own financial benefit.

According to the Centre for Research on Globalization, an independent research and media organization in Canada, “…there are, in America, profits for investors to make in invasions and in military occupations of foreign countries; and the billionaires who control these corporations can and do — and, for their financial purposes, they must — buy Congress and the President, so as to keep those profits flowing to themselves. That’s the nature of the war-business…”

These industries also continuously lobby politicians to create war, examples of which are the many ongoing perpetual wars around the world that the U.S. is involved in. These wars create immense consequences to not only the country, but also people.

According to an article entitled “Big Money Behind War: The Military Industrial Complex,” an article written by Jonathan Turley, a reporter for Al-Jazeera: “While perpetual war constitutes perpetual losses for families and ever-expanding budgets, it also represents perpetual profits for a new and larger complex of business and government interests.”

In addition to harming people, the long-lasting wars, caused by the impact of the Military Industrial Complex, also have a significant effect on taxpayers.

According to a report published by the Pentagon, taxpayers have spent about 1.52 trillion dollars in wars post 9/11.

The cost of wars has not only devastated the U.S. Treasury, but continues to run on a deficit, as the country’s debt is still growing at an alarming rate.

The influence of such industries contradicts the very foundations of democracy. Such rich and powerful companies/industries should not be able to influence the government at the cost of innocent citizens.

According to “The American Military-Industrial Complex Kills Democracy,” an article by Justin Yun, a reporter for Biola University’s student newspaper: “The public’s ability to reign in the Pentagon and prevent the war industry from influencing our war-making decisions is one of the most seminal issues of our time. How can the United States continue to call itself a democratic republic if a very small group of profit-seeking weapons makers continue to influence our foreign policy?”

The Military Industrial Complex goes against the ethics of the country, making it immoral and unprincipled. Our country and its foreign affairs should not be persuaded to make decisions that do not benefit us. Our Founding Fathers did not stand for the influence of outside forces on our government, but in reality, the Military Industrial Complex violates that belief.

Industries should benefit the country and its people, but the Military Industrial Complex harms them.

War is a serious thing, and it should not be taken lightly. Our country should only go to war when there is a dire need, but the Military Industrial Complex drags us into treacherous situations for materialistic reasons. If not kept in check, the Military Industrial Complex will continue to repeat its vicious cycle, until one day, the country and its people are at a total loss.