Ten Hills Grads to Serve Our Country

These ten military-bound students represent approximately three percent of Warren Hills Class of 2018. (Photo by Ian Hale)

Over 100,000 high school graduates join the U.S. military annually. Here at Warren Hills, 10 bold graduates are enthusiastic for their future in the armed forces — one in the United States Air Force and nine in the Navy.

While many seniors struggle with choosing a career path, those who choose the military after graduation can be guaranteed a slot through their selective service branch’s Delayed Entry Program.

According to The United States Marine Corps, DEP’s place prospective recruits into an inactive reserve status in exchange for the recruit agreeing to report to basic training at a specific date in the future, giving the recruit time to work on his stamina and strength while he completes their education before reporting for duty.

Susan Ten Eyke is in the Delayed Entry Program.

“I enlisted in October. The time between October and my ship date is the Delayed Entry Program,” Ten Eyke said. “During that time, you meet with your recruiters once a week, and update them on what happened during that week.”

For Sean Daniel, who committed to the Navy in October of 2017, joining was a matter of  patriotism and the fulfillment of a lifetime dream. Daniel is planning on being a part of the Navy for the next eight years.

“I’ll be a rescue swimmer in the Navy and hope to be a spy after the Navy for our government,” he said.

Brett Wycoff, Noah Cavanaugh and Daniel Jensen are all also going into the Navy, partly because family members have served in the past.

“In September of 2017, I went to the Military Entrance Processing Station and got my contract,” Wyckoff said. “My grandfather was in the Navy and I want to pass it down through the family. I’ve always wanted to go into the Navy, I’ve never really even thought about colleges.”

Kristen Price, another Navy enlistee, committed in March of 2018. Price plans to become a hospital corpsman, with a full bachelor in science of nursing. After attaining her bachelor’s degree, she hopes to be a surgical nurse after her service.

“I joined the Navy for the traveling and benefits, and to serve as a whole. When I started high school the army was an interest of mine, but it didn’t seem to fit me well,” she said. “During senior year, I heard about the Navy again, and learning more about it; it seemed like the perfect fit for me.”

Alyssa Longo also plans on being a corpsman in the Navy.

“I’m most excited to actually go out into the world and make a difference instead of being stuck at college, bored out of my mind,” she said. “I can’t wait to experience the world and see different cultures and areas.”

Larry Lipka, Mat Davis, Emmanuel Telvin and Anabell McGann are also excited to join the join the Military for the travel opportunities.

“I’m beyond excited to meet new people and new places,” McGann said. “I like to learn about other cultures, so I wish to travel to as many places as I can.”

Mat Davis is the only senior not joining the Navy, and instead will be joining the Air Force.

“The Air Force gave me good opportunities, and a choice of what job I wanted where some other branches can’t promise that,” Davis said. “My future plan is to get a civilian job as an air traffic controller.”

The Streak Staff wishes the thank our military-bound seniors for serving our country and we wish them the best of luck!