Deck the Halls Delivers

By Lauren McGaha

Ad Manager

Deck the Halls is a senior privilege that many use to get into the holiday spirit every year. Students are allowed to stay after school or come in early in the morning to decorate their lockers in festive forms.

Every year, this tradition keeps students and teachers on their toes with new creative activities. This year, there were five categories: winter wonderland, best pair, best holiday movie theme, best overall and most comical.

Students were allowed to put their creativity to the test by cutting out pictures, hanging lights, and using wrapping paper to add a colorful touch to our blue and white hallways. The decorations varied from Dwayne The Rock Johnson to Supreme labeled Santas.

Students were also invited to a spread of treats, including favored chocolate chip cookies provided by Student Council. “My favorite part is seeing the creativity that’s behind it, what students are capable of doing. I think it’s fun, especially anytime there’s food involved,” said Vittoria Busardo, visual arts teacher here at Warren Hills. “It runs for about an hour, it starts at 3:30, its sort of like a bake-off show, in an hour when the timer goes off, what you have is what you’ve got.”

Student Council carries the brains for this event, with sub committees taking on decisions such as what categories should be held and what food and drinks to serve. More broad topics like movies and ‘best pair’ make this an event that everyone can take part in, even if you celebrate holidays other than Christmas. 

“After deciding the categories for this year’s event, the advertising department started to make flyers and posters, then needed to get the approval to pick the date,” Busardo said.

The date is important, because some people choose to plan months ahead for their creative plans. 

“Some people may be better under pressure, they need to think about their plans way ahead of time because they only have an hour. They are responsible for the materials and their design,” said Busardo.

The prizes committee is in charge of coming up with different ways the student body would not only want to participate in Deck the Halls to win, but also how to appeal to everyone. 

“The whole process typically takes about a month and a half,” Busardo said.

This year, seniors voted on and judged teachers’ doors, while the faculty judged the seniors’ lockers.

“A few years ago, it was just a senior privilege, now we are trying to expand underclassmen to what we’re doing so we can get them involved,” Busardo said.