Library Showcases Run 17 Years

Some of the showcases performed annually include STEM Alumni Showcase, Computer Science Showcase, Save Club Environmental Showcase, Best Buddies Spread the Word to End the Word Showcase, Peer Leaders RESPECT WEEK Showcase, Gay-Straight Alliance and Human Rights Club’s Pyramid of Hate Showcase, Advanced Theater’s Twisted Tales Showcase and any others proposed by students, staff and/or community member. (Photo courtesy of Kevin Horn)

What do AIDS, fairy tales and rock music all have in common? They’re all subjects you can find featured in Warren Hills showcases!

In its seventeenth year, the library has coordinated a multitude of showcases for everything from Cardiology to Computer Science.

The library, originally located in the art wing, was redesigned by former Librarian and current Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Dawn Moore, so that the staff and students would have a “special place” for enrichment of the curriculum  featuring student and staff talent.

According to Moore, the new library was finished a few weeks before 9/11 and under the circumstances of the tragic event, the library’s first showcase was far from its original purpose.

“The library was turned into a crisis center for awhile. One of the art teachers at the time was an art therapist and used her skill to support those who needed therapy after 9/11. We sponsored an art showcase wherein she brought in some of the artwork the 9/11 victims and/or family members created as a catharsis,” said Moore. “Also, the art teachers as a whole created student masterpieces that mirrored student responses to 9/11, along with a patriotic theme. It was an organic response to a tragic time.”

Since then, the library has continued to be another space for highlighting talent, extracurricular interests and extending entertainment and knowledge in the form of presenters, dramatizations, student groups, sources and community organizations.

Moore said in her nine years as the Librarian/Media Specialist, she sponsored over 150 library showcases, from 2001-2002 to 2009-2010.

“I have a few favorites. Mr. Platt’s ‘Twisted Fairy Tales,’ Mrs. Voight’s music students researched the history behind the spirituals and then told the history, and then sang the songs; creative writing students came to the library, selected an art piece, and wrote about it,” she said. “I liked when the NJ State Police Cyber Task Force visited; we’ve had Holocaust survivors, Dith Pran from the Cambodian Killing Fields, Computer Science students, and so much more!”

Every year showcases improve, introducing new ideas and bringing the community closer.

Since Moore was promoted to her current position, Margaret Devine, current Librarian/Media Specialist, has taken over the coordination of library showcases, with around 150

under her belt.

“My  favorite thing about showcases is that it allows and encourages students and staff to operate ‘outside the box’ and gather and present information in new and meaningful and engaging ways,” said Devine. “It also sometimes gives voice to the voiceless as many students who present and are part of clubs often find comfort in the format of a collaborative presentation.”

Grateful for how the library came together in its final touches, Devine touched upon the importance of the layout for showcases.

“The showcase offers a smaller space than an auditorium. This is so important because often in a larger setting with many more people, the meaning can get lost,” she said. “In the beautiful space of the library, smaller groups are able to meet for the showcases and have a front and center seat, no matter where they are sitting.”

The number of showcases seems to increase each year and student involvement and enthusiasm continue to become more evident.

“I am continually in awe of, and amazed by, the diversity, talent, creativity, and knowledge of our students and staff,” said Devine. “Individually, we have wonderful people who walk these halls and during showcases, I get to see how when these individuals come together and collaborate, their collective voices often can inform, challenge and change thinking.”